Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Module 12: Data Visualization

 Back when we were kids, using data for comparison, whether it be to see who was the tallest in the class or which kid was likely to be school president, we used charts or graphs. These were likely to be made on sheets of construction paper using markers, but it was a fun, interactive way of learning while being able to compare data. With the growth of technology came the capabilities of being able to use digital graphing, mapping, and logging data that is there for the long haul, and didn't get wet, and smeared by the drip of lunch that you were having on top of your chart!

I had the task of finding some online data sets that I think would benefit from data visualization upgrades to making the information easy to read, and more appealing to the viewer. When I think of what I want to be looking at as a researcher, I want data that's easy to follow, easy to breakdown, and easy on the eyes! I would love to see UN Data implement data charting that were way easier to follow. There are tons of data on their site that probably has been overlooked many times due to the poor nature of the placement and lack of updates. We're talking general, social, economic, and environmental data that could be used way more pleasantly for the viewer. Next site that I think would benefit from some updates would be the NYC Open data. Okay, this site is fantastic and has a ton of information. I appreciate being able to find so much data in one place, but the layout is crammed and not updated either. They have everything from collisions to film permits, to the squirrel census! I could totally browse this site as there is so much to view but being that the data isn't very appealing, I'd get bored extremely easy! I'd really love to see this data in a different format.

I decided to look into some data visualization topics that interest me and see if there was anything that I could find worth noting. The first one I came across was a site called Charts. It's literally a site that uses data visualization to compare and analyze the charts being used for data visualization. Although that isn't super intriguing, I did think it was neat way to compare and contrast how data is being used on the web.  The next site I found, which happens to be my favorite, is about every Solar eclipse happening in your lifetime, by The Washington Post. This is by far an amazing display of data visualization using many forms to include an interactive globe, and a variety of graphs and maps about solar eclipses over the years. 

Unlike coloring a graph on scrap paper with crayons and scanning into the web, there is way more that goes into data visualization charting and it isn't easy as one presumes. If you're wondering, "How hard could it be?" We're talking creating a graph, digitizing it, and then coding it; This is by far not nearly as basic as it seems.  I won't be too hard on the sites above that have yet to implement their data more visually because after all, they do have a ton of information and it would be extremely time consuming, but comparing it to The Washington Post's data, they could definitely learn a thing or two about keeping the researching wanting more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unit 16: Final thoughts and suggestions

The ending to this chapter is definitely a bitter-sweet one. This class was extremely fast paced, however I learned so much useful informati...